Windows 10: Anniversary Edition - Some Interesting features and changes!


I updated my Windows 10 Pro to the new build, Microsoft calls it the Anniversary Edition. I know… Well, atleast I’m glad that they didn’t go for Windows 11. It’s pointless. Just for an improved version and very little features. Or like that one silly name called Windows 8.1 Update. So far, I’m really liking the Anniversary build because I see certain features I really wanted to see on my Laptop. So yup.


FYI, I use a Dell Latitude E7240. The one without the fingerprint scanner. I know… It’s a huge bummer right? Anyways, I am going to share some stuff I really like about this Anniversary Edition and which I am really excited to use in my day-to-day life. Let’s get right into it!


Number One: Lockscreen & Log In Screen.

Source: Google Images
You guys remember how Windows 10 Lockscreen looked and especially the Log In page, right?

Where you’d see a Windows Wallpaper behind your profile picture, username and stuff. Let me tell you something, I have been waiting for the day where I could use my very own custom Wallpaper in the background, in fact you can (Click Here) - but if you mess one thing, you’re screwed.


But now, it’s different. The wallpaper you use on the lockscreen IS the background on your Logon Page. Pretty cool right?



So, I have my favorite Batman slapping Robin picture over here. And as soon as I press the spacebar, it follows a different animation (fades in) and shows you this blurred version of that picture. I have to say, I really like it.

Number Two: The Start


No one has to panic… The classic start button and the Windows 7 looking start menu is still there. But this is for those, who likes that Windows 8.1 Update’s Start Screen. I’m one of them. In 10, there’s this toggle under settings where you can use a full screen start instead of the normal start. And there was some buttons on the left side, like the power, user and many more.



But in this build, you can see the buttons but it’s changed in many ways. On top we have the Start, Pinned files, All apps (New change), User (which has been moved to the bottom in this build), File Explorer, Settings and Power.



When you click All Apps in this build, It no longer shows you the apps in that black side bar. Instead it utilizes the Pinned page which is a whole lot better. Smart Move.


Number Three: Improved Notification & Agenda (Previous: Calendar only) and an inclusion of Windows Ink (New)



The Notification Bar looks the same, but there’s been certain noticeable alterations in the toggles. Like the addition of a Project and Network button. Nothing WOW.



If you click the Time/Date in your taskbar, it not only show the usual Calendar and clock but also a Today section where it displays all your plans for today and what not. And if you have a new an appointment to add, just tap the plus and it opens up the calendar right away.




On to a new inclusion, Windows Ink. This is something new in Windows 10: Anniversary Edition. You get this workspace where you can access the Sticky Note (if you don’t know, Sticky note existed since Windows Vista for godsake) which looks way better than the older version. Sketchpad, where you can draw or sketch whatever you want. Screen sketch, something I really like. So let’s say you want to screenshot and highlight a particular part in the picture, you can do it.


Funny thing is, you even have a ruler to draw lines. Well done Microsoft. After all these years, you’ve finally included that ruler.


And other stuff such as Recently used apps and suggested apps.


Number Four: Cortana on Lock Screen!



I’ve been waiting for all these days, to take use of Cortana literally anywhere on my Laptop. With the command “Hey Cortana”, even in lockscreen, will let you do a lot of stuff. Windows claims that Cortana supports more than 1000 apps from the market. Good. How many apps I’ve used: One. Groove Music.



But I can tell you, I can see myself using Cortana for more than that. And the Hey Cortana trigger works even better in this Anniversary Edition. Way better. Good recognition.


Other Stuff

Other than the ones I mentioned above, Anniversary Edition supports more stuff such as the improved biometric security and bringing it right into your Microsoft Edge browser. In terms of improvements, it’s quick, snappy and awesome. With all the nifty tricks up its sleeves makes it a really good OS at the moment. (This view can vary according to people, so don’t judge me).

There's Dark Mode, Virtual Desktop Pins, Huge overhaul in the Start Menu (Classic look ones), New Microsoft Connect feature, even bunch of new emojis and so on... which I will be covering in another post.


At this point, everyone will be asking: Is it worth upgrading / updating to the Anniversary Update?


My answer: Yes. Here’s why. When an older build becomes obsolete, it is prone to viruses and what not. Because the OS does not have the updated firmware patches and so on. Adding on to that, Windows security has gotten better. So, if you want to keep your PC or Laptop safe from those kinds of stuff, doesn’t matter whether you use the features or not. It’s better than you upgrade.


Well, that’s all from me. Thank you guys. And I will catch you folks on my next Blog post. Meanwhile follow me on my social network for more exclusive stuff and many more! :)


This is Prithivi Raj / Vesper
Signing off!